Medical Assistance Grants
StringsforaCURE® provides a one-time Medical Assistance grant to patients based on financial need to help ease the financial burden during the patient’s cancer journey.
Will you consider making a donation?
StringsforaCURE is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that depends upon support from its donors to continue to fund all of its programs. The Medical Expense Grant provides up to $1,500 in financial assistance to breast cancer patients in Erie, PA and the surrounding areas. Without this grant some patients would not be able to get the medically necessary supplies and services that they need. If you are applying for a Medical Grant or you are a relative or healthcare provider assisting a breast cancer patient with the application, please consider making a donation of any amount so that StringsforaCURE can continue to provide this valuable program. Your tax-deductible donation of any amount will help to cover the cost of a Medical Expense and will be acknowledged on the StringsforaCURE Online Virtual Quilt.
- Applicant must be a breast cancer patient who is a U.S. citizen and permanent resident of the U.S. and a full-time resident who lives within a 60-mile radius of Erie, PA.
- Patient must complete and submit a Medical Assistance Grant application, including all required information, documentation and signatures.
- The grant is awarded based on financial need.
- Income guidelines are not disclosed.
- Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Supporting documentation may be submitted as a proof of extenuating circumstances.
- The award period for the grant is July 1- June 30 with budget reevaluation at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- The maximum amount of the grant is $1500 per person.
- If you have applied for and received a Living Expense from StringsforaCURE, you are not eligible to apply for a Medical Assistance Grant.
The grant is for use only on the following types of expenses:
- Doctor or therapist co-pays or office visits
- Prescribed lymphedema garments and supplies
- Prescriptions and co-pays for medications
- Medically necessary supplies prescribed by a doctor
This grant is for medical expenses only, not for living expenses such as rent, mortgages, utility payments or food.
Payment of Grant:
If a patient’s grant application is approved, payment will be made directly to the health care provider, supplier or pharmacy on behalf of the patient.
The breast patient will be required to submit a story or statement about how the patient benefited from the StringsforaCURE Medical Assistance Grant with an option to have a photograph taken at the discretion of the SFAC Board of Directors. The information will be used by StringsforaCURE to publicize how patients benefit from these grants.
In order for StringsforaCURE to make a payment to a health care provider, supplier or pharmacy, the following must be provided with the application:
- Name of the healthcare provider, supplier, or pharmacy
- Amount of financial assistance requested
- Copy of the bill(s) with the amount due or estimate of the cost of the supplies or medication from the supplier or pharmacy and must include the breast cancer patient’s name.
- SFAC reserves the right to contact you to verify that the accuracy of the information provided.
- Incomplete or old applications will not be processed.
- Approval of the grant is made by the SFAC board of directors.
- An application may be put on hold, pending the availability of funds.
- Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing.
- All personal patient information is considered confidential.
Click here to download and print the most current Medical Grant application. Please submit an application only if you meet all of the eligibility requirements above.