StringsforaCURE® Foundation (SFAC) is very pleased to invite any Erie County, PA graduating high school seniors who have been touched by a breast cancer diagnosis within his or her family to apply for a $1,500 StringsforaCURE Educational Scholarship to continue their education at a college, university or technical school in 2019. This year we will be awarding two $1500 Educational Scholarships.
The application can be downloaded from the link below. However, the student applicant should review the eligibility requirements listed below before applying:
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for this scholarship:
- Must have a family member / legal guardian who is a breast cancer survivor or must have lost a family member / legal guardian to breast cancer. When the winners of the scholarships are selected, the student and family member / legal guardian or family representative may need to re-verify that all information submitted is true.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of the U.S. and a full-time resident of Erie County, PA.
- Must be a senior graduating in May/June 2019 from an Erie County PA high school, charter school or home school.
- Must be attending a post graduate institution full time starting in the fall of 2019 (college or trade school).
- Must have a 5 cumulative grade point average.
- Must include transcript with the application.
Submissions will be accepted from March 1, 2019 through April 19, 2019. All mailed entries must be postmarked by April 19, 2019 or if scanned and sent by email must be received by April 19, 2019. StringsforaCURE will not be responsible for lost or redirected mail, or submissions not received by email due to electronic error. Scholarship winners will be notified no later than May 20, 2019.
Submission must include all required documentation as specified below:
- Completed Cover page for the application (available online at StringsforaCURE.org under “Programs”). The form must include the following information:
- Student’s full name and contact information (address, home and/or cell phone number, email address, if available), birthdate and current school.
- College/university or trade school that student plans to attend plus the area of planned study, if known.
- Name and relationship of family member / legal guardian diagnosed with breast cancer, type of breast cancer (if known) and approximate diagnosis date (if known).
- Verification of family member or legal guardian’s breast cancer diagnosis – printed name and signature of the family member or legal guardian diagnosed with breast cancer or a family representative who can verify the information, as well as their contact phone number(s).
- Student’s essay of 500 words or less (double spaced) addressing the following question: How has this breast cancer diagnosis affected you and changed your life?
- A current copy of student’s transcript, which must be submitted with the application.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you have read the eligibility requirements and feel you are eligible, please download the application by clicking here.
All mailed entries must be postmarked by April 19, 2019 or if scanned and sent by email must be received by April 19, 2019. Scholarship winners will be notified no later than May 20, 2019.
Entries can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 9823
Erie, PA 16505
Or scanned and emailed to: email@example.com
Any questions or additional information that the applicant feels necessary to provide to the selection committee may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 StringsforaCURE Scholarship Winners
$6000 in StringsforaCURE Educational Scholarships Awarded
On Wednesday, May 30, 2018, the StringsforaCURE Foundation awarded $6,000 in Educational Scholarships to six students graduating from local Erie High Schools. In order to qualify for the scholarship, the students must complete an application and write an essay about how a breast cancer diagnosis of a family member impacted their lives. This year, the scholarships were awarded to (L-R) Collette Gordon, Angel Mora, Mughiara Qadeer, Connor Schlosser, Makayla Davis and Tara Twargoski (not present). StringsforaCURE congratulates these talented students as they graduate from six different Erie County High Schools to continue their education at a college or university in the fall.
Tara Twargoski (L), who was unable to attend our Scholarship Award presentation at Blasco Library is pictured here with her mother, Barb, who works at St. Vincent Women’s Center and is involved with the Breast Cancer program there. The words of Tara Twargoski describing her feelings about her mother’s breast cancer diagnosis were particularly touching and she was also awarded a $1,000 scholarship. Tara’s experience throughout her mother’s breast cancer journey has motivated her to pursue a degree in nursing at the Nova Southeastern University in Florida.
2017 StringsforaCURE Scholarship Winners
$1000 StringsforaCURE Educational Scholarship Winner Teah Lata with her mom Mardi Lata, a breast cancer survivor. Teah will attend Penn State Behrend in the fall.
The SFAC Board also voted to award Paige Brummett with a Sophomore year scholarship. Paige attends Purdue University.
2016 StringsforaCURE Scholarship Winner
$1000 StringsforaCURE Educational Scholarship Winner Paige Brumett. L-R: Nicole Brugger-Board Chair, Paige Brumett- SFAC Scholarship Winner, Elisa Guida- Founder/Executive Director