StringsforaCURE is offering two $1,000 Educational Scholarships intended to help students from an Erie County, PA high school, charter school or home school that has been touched by a breast cancer diagnosis.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for this scholarship:
- Must have a family member / legal guardian who is a breast cancer survivor or must have lost a family member / legal guardian to breast cancer. When the winner of the scholarship is selected, the student and family member / legal guardian or family representative will need to verify that all information submitted is true.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of the U.S. and a full-time resident who lives within a 60-mile radius of Erie, PA.
- Must be a senior graduating in May/June 2018 from an Erie County PA high school, charter school or home school.
- Must be attending a post graduate institution full time starting in the fall of 2018 (college, university or trade school).
- Must have a 2.5 cumulative grade point average. Student is required to provide copy of transcript with their application.
Submissions will be accepted from February 1, 2018 through April 13, 2018. All mailed entries must be postmarked by April 13, 2018 or if scanned and emailed must be received by April 13, 2018. StringsforaCURE will not be responsible for lost or redirected mail, or submissions not received by email due to electronic error. Winner will be notified no later than May 20, 2018.
The award is a one time, non-renewable scholarship in the amount of $1,000. The check will be made payable directly to the winner’s selected post graduate institution.
A selection committee of no fewer than 3 members will determine the winner. The winner will be based on essay submission, transcript and verification of diagnosis, without regard to financial need and without discrimination as to age, race, sex or creed.
Submission must include all of the required documentation as specified below:
- Completed Cover page – Please complete and submit the form on the last page of this document as part of your submission. The form must include the following information:
- Student’s full name and contact information (address, home and/or cell phone number, email address, if available), birthdate and current school.
- Name and relationship of family member / legal guardian diagnosed with breast cancer, type of breast cancer (if known) and approximate diagnosis date (if known).
- College, University or Trade School that student plans to attend
- Area of study, if known
- Verification of family member or legal guardian’s breast cancer diagnosis – printed name and signature of the family member or legal guardian diagnosed with breast cancer or a family representative who can verify the information, as well as their contact phone number(s).
- Student’s essay of 500 words or less (double spaced) addressing the following question:
How has this breast cancer diagnosis affected you and changed your life?
A current copy of student’s transcript, which must be submitted with the application.
All mailed entries must be postmarked by April 13, 2018 or if scanned and emailed must be received by April 13, 2018.
Entries can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 9823
Erie, PA 16505
Or scanned and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions or additional information that the applicant feels necessary to provide to the selection committee may be sent to: email@example.com
Click here to download and print the most current Education Scholarship application. Please submit an application only if you meet all of the eligibility requirements above.
2017 StringsforaCURE Scholarship Winners
$1000 StringsforaCURE Educational
The SFAC Board voted to award
Paige Brummett with a Sophmore
year scholarship. Paige attends
$1000 StringsforaCURE Educational
Scholarship Winner Teah Lata with
her mom Mardi Lata, a breast cancer
survivor. Teah will attend Penn State
Behrend in the fall.
2016 StringsforaCURE Scholarship Winner